Catching Lives is an independent charity aimed at supporting the rough sleepers, homeless and vulnerably housed in Canterbury and East Kent; those who have, for many reasons, fallen through the gaps in society and feel they have nowhere else to turn.
Our vision is of a society where all are included and all, no matter how disadvantaged, can make a contribution. Catching Lives works towards ending the harm caused to individuals, families and the community, by homelessness, rough sleeping and insecure housing.
As a charity, we have been established for 10 years serving clients through our drop-in centre in Canterbury. We have a strong board but are looking to recruit 3 to 5 new trustees to broaden our diversity and to ensure a good pipeline of succession.
The Trustees are legally responsible for the charity and responsible for vision, mission and strategy of the charity. We meet monthly (usually at our drop-in centre), but since lockdown we have been meeting via Zoom.
Here are some highlights of the role:
• Consider the long-term direction of the charity, its effectiveness and how to drive it forward.
• Agree how any concerns will be addressed and take action as required.
• Manage any issues relating to the employment, supervision, training and support of the coordinator.
• Support the recruitment process for staff and agree their appointment.
• Monitor and manage the charity’s finances, approving expenditure and overseeing fund-raising.
• Foster partnerships and maintain links with local partners in Canterbury.
• Adopt and review the necessary policies and procedures.
• Manage aspects of general membership and arrangements for AGMs.
• Ensure Charity Commission, and other legal requirements are satisfied.
• Apply their specific gifts and talents to the various functions of the initiative
Benefits of becoming a trustee;
Becoming a Trustee is a fantastic way to give something back to a cause you care about. You’ll be playing an integral part in the way Catching Lives is run, ensuring we remain sustainable and financially viable. The help you provide will be invaluable to us and to all the people we support. Getting involved as a charity Trustee is a great way to put your professional skills to use but can also be a fantastic opportunity to learn new things. You will get a great insight into what is involved in the management of charities and gain skills in working well within a leadership role.
We are looking for candidates from either a legal, finance or human resource background. If you are interested in finding out more please have a look around our website for more information.
Please sent a personal statement of why you would be interested in the role and why you would be a suitable candidate to email@example.com